Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dusty Day Out

It was a beautiful sunny day yesterday and I found myself unloading my car outside the stunning venue 'The Round Chapel Old School Rooms' on Lower Clapton Road.

I was there to set up my "shop" at the brilliantly named 'Dusty Fingers' Hackney's New Vintage Night Market (Hello Shep and Carolina!) This is a great was to spend some time if you are in the area on a summers evening - 30 stalls of furniture and fashion, delicious cakes by The Vintage Tea Set and a beer or glass of wine included in the entrance fee. On my table last night was my collectable original Bambi book illustrated by Walt Disney, see below a photo of one of the framed drawings. The whole book is so beautiful, the colours and style are charming. I saw the film as a child and loved it, the charming story of the little white-tailed deer. It came out in 1942 produced by Walt Disney and was based on the book 'Bambi, A Life In The Woods' by Austrian author Felix Salten who actually wrote it for an adult audience. Walt Disney then reworked it for a younger audience and the animators after a visit to the Los Angeles Zoo set up a small zoo in the studio with a pair of fawns, rabbits, skunks and ducks for sketching. It is classic and very memorable having a variety of effects on its audience - Paul McCartney credited the shooting death of Bambi's mother for his initial interest in animal rights! And so last night the beautiful little Bambi sat alongside vintage belts, bangles and sunglasses and the little white-tailed deer looked happy.

Something I will never be able to part with however is my precious little Bambi style brooch I have had since I was a child. I was given it by my great aunt and have treasured it ever since. These days I wear it on my vintage black velvet Jaeger jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment